Prof. Nderitu the former Deputy Vice- Chancellor Research and Development (Standing 2nd row left) joins other stakeholders during the workshop to develop scalable approach to establish competitive potato value chains, especially benefiting smallholder farmers and their families.
Lack of smallholder-tailored postharvest management, including storage, and good agricultural practices the quality and efficiency of the value chains there are major challenges facing potato industry.
The situation is worsened by the following factors:
- Inadequate training and technology transfer to smallholder farmers;
- Low levels of productivity of smallholders hindering competitiveness with imports and thus limiting benefits from growing demands for value added products in their region;
- Weak business relations between local producers and processors;
- Limited availability healthy seed and suitable varieties as being the basis for a high quality end product;
- Lack of viable financial solutions along the value chain